Search Share Learn. (A rip off of “eat love pray”.)
I was reading a story this morning about ResearchGate a social media community for researchers. It’s a place where they can get together online to share ideas, sources and projects – the end game of which is to accelerate project completion. If Facebook is the 800 lb. gorilla, social media plats (short for platforms) are smaller more discrete communities where people can commune and learn. Edmodo is one such for educators. Houzz is one for home remodelers. And Etsy for people selling their home made crafts.
These category-specific social media plats bring the world’s resources to our fingertips. I remember talking and thinking about this while in a strategic role at (start-up) Zude in 2006. Then, a few years later, while working for JWT on a “future of work” project for client Microsoft, the topic came up again under the guise of something I named the “logged and tagged workforce” — an idea where was the project was more important than the workers.
The web opens up worlds of information and data to everyone. Google’s ability to search this information has transformed our lives. But as search matures and we pull back in search of better ways to get stuff done, I’m realizing how random and mis-organized is the Google sphere. Smaller learning and sharing communities are the future. And they won’t be free either.
More to come, once I dump the cache.
July 19, 2018 in Marketing
Repetition is an old saw in the advertising business. Reach and frequency being words we grew up on. Reach is the total target you hit with a message and frequency is the number of times it was seen by said target. If you bonk people on the head enough times with your message, they’ll remember […]
July 18, 2018 in Marketing
My branding thesis is built upon the idea that 90% of marketing communications is hot air. That leaves only 10% for the good stuff: real selling. Also known as “proof” of value. In an ad brief, this might be referred to as “reasons to believe.” Listen to a :60 second radio commercial and pull out […]
July 17, 2018 in Marketing
My brand briefs are filled with heart-warming, heart wrenching twists of a phrase. They are meant to engage the Amygdala. Trust me, they work when it comes to selling brand strategy (one claim, three proof planks.) But unless you are Bob Dylan no consumer is going to remember your poetic brand claim and proof array. […]
July 12, 2018 in Marketing
In the toast at my daughter’s wedding I plan on sharing a smidgeon of marital and parenting advice. A brand planner by trade, I make a living observing behavior then packaging it into small, memorable bits of advice. Toast advice number 1. Don’t use the “H” word. Both my kids should remember this one; it’s […]
July 11, 2018 in Marketing
I’d like to say when it comes to brand planning my philosophy is “listening” but it’s not. Many will tell you the best cultural anthropologists are listeners, observers and silent recorders of behavior. They are. Many brand planners today are expert listeners but not all see. Watching confirms what the ears hear. Observing can add […]
July 10, 2018 in Marketing
My baby girl is getting married in a couple of months and I’ve been wondering what to say in the toast. Stuff about her? Everyone in the room knows her. Stuff about her soon-to-be-husband? Many will know him better than I. Should I lead with a joke? I’m funnier extemporaneously than when I write material. […]
July 6, 2018 in Marketing
Not sure if this is an apocryphal story or not but it certainly sounds legit. There is a 10 A.M, Delta flight out of LaGuardia weekdays that flies into Bentonville, AR home of Walmart. Anybody who is anybody in retail, I’m told, has been on this flight known as the Bentonville Bus. If you want […]