I have a neat idea for a “What’s The Idea?” promotion. (Disclosure: What’s The Idea? is an open source company, believing strategy frameworks should be open and shared.) The promotion is called “Brand Strategy Tarot Cards” but the idea needs a little help from friends and friendettes, as Rohsaan Roland Kirk might have put it. So feel free to weigh in.
The promotion offers a free 1-hour brand strategy assessment to help marketers better understand their current brand position – or lack thereof.
In a traditional tarot card reading, three cards are turned over. In a Brand Strategy Tarot Card reading, I will turn over 6 cards. But they won’t actually be cards, they’ll be pieces of marketing content.
Here are a couple of content types I’m thinking about:
- Press release boiler plate.
- Website Homepage and About page copy. (We’ll use the home page if About is the same as boilerplate.)
- Text from an important recent CEO speech — either to analysts, industry group or media.
- Most famous ad.
- The latest 10 LinkedIn posts or Tweets.
- Company mission statement.
My intent is to turn these content pieces over in front of the CMO, one at a time, read them aloud and interpret them in real time. At the end of the reading, aggregate observations will be shared and if I’m able to see a pattern, a meme-able brand position will be offered.
So planners, any thoughts as to other brand strategy tarot cards I might use?